Monday, January 14, 2008

Gardening in January

It is in January that I do my best gardening, sitting in a comfy chair, coffee cup in hand, browsing the new garden catalogs that the mail lady placed in my box. We use to have a large garden with corn, peas, pumpkins,
and other colorful vegetable as well as rows and rows of sunflowers. And I must not forget the flowering vine teepee that the kids played in, it sat between two garden plots with a floor of green grass. This all took a lot of time and we were a couple that worked many hours at our jobs, then the donkeys came and they took more of our time so the garden got smaller and then one summer just stopped.....


I remember fondly the giant sunflower that self seeded from the year before and found herself in the middle of the beans, she choose a wonderful companion plant. She was large and had a large flowering head, her huge leaves draped her like a grand old fashion dress from the days of gone with the wind... we called her MY LADY.... often passer-bys would stop to comment on her size and beauty. This was before we had a digital camera and typical to our nature we didn't take pictures so now the magnificent
sunflower lady is just a memory of a summer past that we reminisce about with great admiration.


I still plant a few flowers, I could never go cold turkey on zinnias and sweet peas or my sunflowers...so as the snow falls I dream of white but not of the cold kind but of the kind that only the warmth of the summer sun can bring..... White Wedding Zinnia, can't you just see a bouquet of these in a white ironstone jug, I have always wanted to plant a moon garden, a garden bed of white.
To the front bed I will add a little color, Phlox Blue Paradise to sets off all the other flowers in that small bed and Sunflower Double Dandy Hybrid just because I love sunflower and I always try a new one each year and then I will add a few herbs. This is my list from the
Burpee catalog , and I still have a few catalogs to go….
Happy gardening,
Louise

6 comments:

Fete et Fleur said...

Your Blog is beautiful! I love to garden too! I just haven't had much time in the last year to do any.

Thank you for stopping by and your beautiful comment on the shoes!

Hugs! Nancy

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

I enjoyed "gardening" with you this afternoon! I miss my sunflowers....Where I live now, there is just not enough sunny areas to plant in the middle of the forest...
Penny

Julie Marie said...

Those white zinnias would make a great cut flower. I love phlox but mine always get rust.

Your new header is neat.

Julie

yours truly said...

oh ... you changed your blog's look and it's so gorgeous! The music is sweet, too. Looking at all those lovely flowers makes me long for spring! We're still in our dreary-days here ... I pray for March to hurry, but then I'll be that much closer to 50!

Best wishes!
Lora

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

We have a cardinal couple too...every year they bring their babies to the feeder and we watch them grow up...
Penny

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

Your table sounds lovely, I would love to see a picture of it!
Penny