Monday, July 27, 2009

Busy working …

I have been busy working on yet another art kit however; this one is a little bit different.

My last kit that was in the summer Somerset Life Magazine “Time for Paris” has filled my email box with “can I buy it” …?
I am flattered that so many wanted this kit but I am sorry to say that it is not for sale.
My daughter has written her name on this one. Because of the family trinkets or tiny heirlooms
that were placed in this kit I will wrap it with love, put it under the Christmas tree and yes I will put her name on the tag.

I also got an email that took me back a little at first….
Questioning me why that is art…
And also stating anyone could do that ….
I do not think of the kits I put together as art but as design…
Second, yes, anyone can do it and I hope that one of my kits will inspire someone to put one together.
I know many online friends from my doll groups love this idea because their have pieces of lace and ribbon that they cannot bring themselves to use. Displaying them in a presentation box is a way of using and saving treasured bits and pieces. A kind of bake your cake and eat it too…
Some of the kits I put together can come together in an afternoon or in an hour.
However, on others I have logged many hours. Somerset still has one of my kits (a little peek below) that
I put together last summer and it took a very long time for the final product, a hundred plus hours.




I wish I took more pictures of the process. Pictures I take along the way I use to help me remember what I like together and what I do not like, I am bad at taking pictures during the process. I have a new appreciation for those that record their work for us to see
as well for those who post tutorials.
My latest kit has also taken many hours. The time has not been spent with what goes in the kit but how the items are displayed and decorating the box. After the first few hours, I discovered something about this
particular kit…, which I will share with you at a later date.

I also am using my kits as tiny steps to show my artwork…I sometimes feel like I am on a ten-step program.

“Like a morning dream, life becomes more and more bright the longer we live, and the reason of everything appears more clear. What has puzzled us before seems less mysterious, and the crooked paths look straighter."~Jean Paul Richter, German Novelist, 1763-1825

15 comments:

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

I love your kits and could understand why you have had many request to buy them!

So sad, that there is always someone trying to rain on someone elses parade. The person that questioned your art/design probably can't put an original thought together.
Hugs to you my creative friend!
Penny

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Beautiful. I love your style!
People can be so strange. It's a good thing that most people can enjoy each other's success and happiness and not feel the need to be so rude.
Beautiful work!

Pocket Full of Prettys said...

I agree with Penny, why do people want to rain on the parade. People can be so mean or even inconsiderate. I love your kits, would love to have one! Wanted to let you know that my blocks are inked with Tim Holtz ink. Can't wait to see your box. Hugs my friend! Renea

Storybook Woods said...

I love your kits and style. I can not believe someone would say anything. You can not qualify someone else’s creative expression. I know I would be thrilled you have one of your kits xoxoxo Clarice

LiLi M. said...

First I want to thank you for that video clip of the wedding entrance. I enjoyed it so much. A clip like that can really make my day and I thought it was a pity I couldn't say that to you, back then.
Your kids, hahhaa I mean kits, are so lovely and inspiring. The idea having to think whether this is art or not is totally uninteresting, what counts, in my opinion, is whether you (and your friends) enjoy them. I consider myself as a friend of yours and I love them. I think they are beautiful. Looking at them makes me feel happy and inspires me too. I read and reread the articles about your kits in Somerset life a 1000 times (and counting). Have a great day Louise, creating lovely things. Art or not, who cares?

bluemuf said...

Hi Louise, I just love looking at your kits and look so forward to seeing the new ones. Those little sneak peeks just wet the appetite.

These art kits definately little pieces of art. I find them so inspiring.

Hugs Karen

Ro Bruhn said...

What a great way to display your collections and wares. So much more interesting than having things tucked away in drawers

rochambeau said...

Dear Louise,
I appreciate all that goes into your beautiful box kits, truly I do. These photos are great and will look forward to seeing your next work in Somerset!
You go girl~
Yest to taking photos during the process!!
xox
Constance

rochambeau said...

Didn't have time to write this earlier.
Wanted to add~
That every person on earth has a different idea what art it or isn't. I GET what you do!!

xox
C

Betzie said...

Your kits are special treasures and the one you made for your daughter will be greatly appreciated I'm sure. She is very lucky to be the receivor of such a wonderful gift!
To me art is being able to express yourself, your inner truths, your emotions, your individual creativity, in any way you choose.
Enjoy and keeping making your own special art for those of us who do appreciate it and are inspired by it!

Natasha Burns said...

you have a great style and your kits are lovely. who says they aren't art? what IS art? who defines what is and is not art? if anyone could put it together, why didn't anyone and everyone do it, before you? i, for one, appreciate your ideas and your kits are obviously inspirational. I love that you are keeping it for your daughter :)

adrienne said...

I definitely think these are art - more than just a pretty design! Your kits are beautiful assemblages, and the thoughtful juxtaposition of objects tell wonderful stories.
I always enjoy looking at the pictures.

indybev said...

Not art? Oh YES, art! This is my first "visit" to your kits. What artistic skill it takes to bring together just the right pieces in just the right way to please the eye and tug at the heart! Those who make negative comments such as the one you mention speak from their own unhappiness. How sad they cannot appreciate beauty wherever they find it!

christine said...

Ooooh I love polka dots -- what a lovely lovely kit!! LUCKY daughter!!

Chrisy said...

Well I've just stumbled into your little world and very pleased that I did...you are an artist my friend...with a generous spirit as well!