Wednesday, September 2, 2009

One of those movies.....

Every once in a while a movie comes along that you just can’t let go of, it occupies your head like a burrowing worm in a hickory nut.
This is one of them …




My hubby and I watched this last week and these two women have been a part of our daily discussions since…
Like everyone else, we have questioned the whys and wherefores, like everyone else we philosophize.


It was this movie that sparked my last post because it was high society that doomed these women.
My elderly employer that I mentioned in my last post told me of her coming out party at the Ritz,
boating on the Hudson and formal dances at West Point during her college years. She was just a few years older than Little Eddie.
Like the Beales,
my employer sold her Tiffany jewelry to continuer her life style after her divorce.
However, unlike the Beales she did receive a large inheritance from her grandmother that was not in a trust making her story and her outcome very different from that of the two women from Grey Gardens.

I have not seen the original documentary but plan to soon.
And if you have not seen the HBO movie I can highly recommend it, both Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange were outstanding in this film.
When I first saw the trailer for the documentary Grey Gardens, I decided I was not going to see either film because it made me
feel very uncomfortable. I am glad I got past that ….






3 comments:

shibori girl said...

You know, I hadn't heard of this story until last year, when the HBO movie was making such a buzz. And I resisted the idea of watching it, feeling it was too voyeuristic and weird.

But, now, I've learned a bit more, and seeing these trailers and reading your reaction, I might just have to add it to my netflix and sit down with some popcorn!

Thanks for posting the trailers...

Kate

LiLi M. said...

I had to Google first. I also like movies that keep you thinking for a while. I think the last movie that totally overwhelmed me was 'Il y a longtemps que je t'aime', I told you that before. I saw 'the Reader' last week, which was reason to talk about justice for my friend and neighbour 'Z', who is a judge and me for a long time. Unfortunately we didn't see Slumdog Millionaire, as Z. wasn't feeling well that night, so we will see it some other time. Next week we will go to: Coco avant Chanel, but we go there primarely for the eye candy, I am not sure whether it has any depth at all.
Thanks for your recommendation, I always appreciate your judgement and if I have the chance I will certainly see more of these ladies. Have a nice day, creating and enjoying!

...... Kristina ...... said...

You have me very intrigued my friend,thank you for your insight i shall have to watch this as soon as i can.
Hope you and your loved ones are well
Love Kristina XxX