Monday, August 10, 2009

What's your Style Quiz

***
When it comes to style ...
I like so many things, trust me it goes beyond
Eclectic…
I like beach, shabby, French, old world, arts and crafts, deco and ……….!!!
I wish I had the energy and funds to move every two years I could decorate, and move on to the next project.
Fulfill my hearts desire...
That is really a joke because I have been in my home over 20 years now.
I love my New England saltbox house that
my dear hubby built for me when my heart was broken more than any heart should be.
Nevertheless, we are now talking about down sizing in the next few years because we will be part of
the empty nest crowd…We just have a few years left with kids in college and then some of that $$$$$ that we spend on our kids can stay right here in my pocket.

Take note as of yesterday we have been parenting 38 years.
Our oldest and first child Willow Heather was 38 yesterday.
her name means freedom flower…
She was named by me, her hippy mom.
She was an only child for 15 years, in her sophomore year of high school we adopted
our Allie aka Alexandria Hee Jung, named by us, her almost yuppie parents and her name means helper of humanity /shining pure. … Two years later when Willow was a senior a miracle took place and
her brother Nathan Colin was born. His name means gift child.
I have never mentioned this on my blog before; I know I have talked about college age kids and grandchildren's birthday parties.
But never told the story of my family and the large gap between my kids.
Well anyway, back to moving on…..

My hubby wants to move south, he hates the cold…
I want to move to Nova Scotia…the Bay of Fundy sounds so romantic to me…plus Nova Scotia has tons of old cottage type houses.


Our discussions goes something like this:
HIM…..what am I going to do in Nova Scotia…?
ME…. What am I going to do in air condition…?
However, we both agree it needs to be smaller with a smaller yard…

HIM ….I enjoy cooking and would love a gourmet kitchen.
ME…. I want a house that takes no more then 20 minute to vacuum and a kitchen is not required….

HIM…. I will do the cooking….
ME…..no deal because when I cook I clean up and when you cook I still clean up…

Actually, he does do a lot of the cooking lately….
He is a BBQ man and follows recipes…
I don’t think I looked at a recipe in years, if I cannot remember how to make it,

it doesn't get made ….

One of things I have been doing is putting together a cottage/bungalow file of colors and styles that I would like for my empty nest home…
It helps me to be exited about the next step in our life.



picture from BH&G




Bedroom inspired by my collection of vintage jewelry and
art board from the book French-inspired Jewelry by Kaari Meng.


15 comments:

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

I have the perfect solution! Move to NC in the mountains near me! It is not terribly cold in the winter and not extremely hot in the summer! Check it out!!
Hugs,
Penny

LiLi M. said...

I loved reading this post Louise. Though, like you, I am a bit reluctant to talk about my family, I have to say that I enoyed learning more about you and your family. Life is full of wonders, I am already curious to find out what your next step brings you. I have to say the him-her dialogue is a bit familiar hehehe!

Like you I like too much styles too. I used to move every 7 years or earlier to change again. But I am not the kind of person who changes the livingroom for example every other week, as I see some women do (on the internet especially).
I tend to attach some memories to our belongings. For example I find it hard to part with my son's (13) train. He spent so much happy hours with it. But I am the only one in the house who wants to keep these kind of things. The other day hubby dreamt that he was 'somewhere'. There was a house that apparantly belonged to us too. He tried to open the door, but he couldn't, it was jampacked full of things. I think we don't need Freud to explain that dream. And I think I will have to let go.

Good luck in deciding what to do next or where to go next. Wouldn't you like to live close to children?

LiLi M. said...

Oooh and I forgot to tell you this:

Did you see the small bottles in Mary Green's latest post?

http://greenpaper.typepad.com/green/

I was thinking of you, they might inspire you or perhaps you are interested to buy them.

Have a lovely day!

Storybook Woods said...

Thank you for trusting us and sharing. It was fun to learn a bit more about you. I am sure wherever you live, it will be fab !!!! Clarice

Fete et Fleur said...

I loved this post! First, I took the quiz. Thanks so much for sending us there. My style is Hamptons White Wash! I loved the description of this title.

It is so much fun to learn more about you and your lovely family. You might not want to down size too much. There calling your children's generation the boomerang generation!

Hugs!
Nancy

Chrisy said...

Oh darlin your file of pics is beautiful. And I enjoyed reading about your family...you'll need to make sure there's room in a new home for visits and maybe grandchildren!

somepinkflowers said...

wm. morris' wallpaper
is my favorite ♥

{{ his art is like his verse,
don't you think,
all detailed with nuance }}

:-)

but imagine finding him
~~here~~
with my contemporary favorite
----> Kaari Meng
and her French-inspired Jewelry page!

oh happy day ♥


{{ sometimes i just take out
that book
and look
dreamily at her use of color,
page after page }}

well inspired post,
so thanks ever~so
for the enjoyment ♥

Marie Antionette said...

I'm with your hubby,I can't stand the cold. But it does get hot down here in Ms and New Orleans. But we do have some wonderful old houses here,High ceilngs and such.But we do have hurricans once in awhile, but the snow up there is awfully cold...LOL... I think I will move where Penny lives.
It sounds like you have a wonderful family.I have only one child,Alexia...she is 36.
BTW...I think you have great taste, and whereever you live will be just gorgeous. I was at your other site, Fairy's Gate.Its filled with wonderful ideas.I love making Christmas tree themes.The updide down trees are such fun to make. Try it!!! I'm making some right now for my etsy shop.
Thank you for stoping by, your visits are always a joy...And I will have a good bartending story for you.XXOO Marie Antionertte

rochambeau said...

Hi Louise,
Happy late birthday to Willow Heather. Thirty eight and terrific!

I like your children's names and their meanings too. Because of how they were spaced, each child was able to be loved, especially.

It's nice how you express your journiy through the phases in life. The ones can name. And NOW~~~~~~~ It's exciting to dream and ponder your next adventure!! Think of all the possibilities that lie before you and him!

xox
Constance

ps
Do you think we grow into the meanings of our names? I do!

Betzie said...

Oh Louise, you are SO GOOD at names....first my puppy, now I come here and read your children's wonderful and poetic names. LOVE THEM ALL!
Thanks for coming up with such great names on my blog.

I'm like you, probably close in age...my hubby and I think about downsizing too, but must confess, I love our home and dread thinking about moving. I know that time will come so I will be like you, and imagine new decors and a fresh start with less work!
Cute conversation! Loved your post!!!

She'sSewPretty said...

We are also getting close to being empty nesters here and are talking about moving next year. Like you, I don't know what my style is either. It's been defined by what fabric will hold up to the kids for so long. Good luck with your decision. It sounds like you will have fun while deciding what to do.

bluemuf said...

Louise, I so enjoyed learning about your family. What fun you and your husband will have embarking on new adventures. After all the years of nurturing and raising our children it takes a little while, but then, a whole new world opens up for us to explore. I so enjoyed seeing the pictures in your decorating file.

Hugs Karen

adrienne said...

I took the quiz and my style came out to be Hamptons Whitewash - funny, since I just came back from that part of the country. Really, like you, I like a little of everything.

I'm always dreaming of decorating the next space, even though we have no plans to go anywhere!
Wherever yours turns out to be, I'm sure it will be wonderful and welcoming.

rochambeau said...

Dear Louise,
Hi!!
About photoshop!!
I got mine photoshop elements 6 for $54~, now it's only $42~ including shipping at Amazon. (I have a mac).

If you have a pc. Get Photoshop elements 7 at amazon $64~ including shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-6-0-Photographers-professional/dp/0240516338

YOU will LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!

xox
Constance

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.