Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Writing Box




A few years ago my husband's aunt gave me this wonderful writing box that once belonged to her mother. I just got the box and it was fascinating to explore, it gave me a tiny peek into my husband's family.
Inside was a note about the box ( pictured above) and a few other paper items. The items in the box were from before Minnie was married, dried rose petal from a favorite cousin, receipts for music lessons that took place in 1894 and 1895. It appears the box was set aside once she was married in 1899 for the last thing added was an announcement for her graduation in 1898.
I want to redo the writing box because it's in such bad condition, first thought was to keep it as close to the original as possible...but then ideas began to fill my head....because it is in sure bad shape it could be redone into ??????????? almost anything.






2 comments:

ShabbyInTheCity said...

OH I love it! Bad shape and all!

yours truly said...

mmmm ... fabulous old thing, isn't it? How neat your MIL gave it to you! So many possibilities! What will you do with it... Paint it? And ...use it to hold art supplies? Maybe? Or... A bedside dream journal "keeper"??... TV flicker hiding box? Even just as it is with the old letters, etc., it is wonderful!