Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Matchbox


Last week Becky from Wonders Never Cease did a WONDER POST on matchboxes.
She listed several wonderful examples of matchbox art.
I so enjoyed hopping to all the links she gave, but was completely taken in by the link to the International Championship League of Matchbox Stuffers on flickr…now we are not talking about the kitchen size here, we are talking about the small ones….a little more than two inches long, one and a half inches wide and not very high.
My head began to whirl with ideas, a theme would be fun, color I like working with color…


This matchbox stuffing was fun to watch on
flickr……
It reminded me of when I was a kid and had a collection of these tiny boxes tucked in the corner of my
desk filled with miniature treasures…

I searched the house for a small matchbox. Not one was to be found, disappointed but not defeated, I started to gather
items so I would be ready to stuff a matchbox when one was found…..
Theme…fairy
Color ….pink , blue and shiny items and things from nature….
Goal ….. 30 items or more








I have about eighteen items so far…
I never did find a matchbox but found this template and made a box from some birthday invitations ( recycling ) that didn’t print out bright enough.
This template makes a matchbox that is a little smaller than the ones you buy , so keep this mind if you decide to give it a try.

Other fun themes for matchboxes that I came up with…
A vacation matchbox ….start with one small item from home and add along the way….
A shine matchbox for or about someone….
A matchbox birthday gift …number of items corresponds with age of person.
Paper doll matchbox….
An inspirational matchbox… this is not my idea but Constance Muller's idea from rochambeau….
I was so touched by the pink box she assembled for a give away I thought I would give it a try in matchbox size…


After I finish this little gem I will post pictures of all things inside …..
We lose power a lot in the summer, almost during ever storm. I think this is going to be
the perfect activity to keep me amused while I grumbling about out lights being out..

9 comments:

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

That is just amazing! Everything in tiny, little, miniature...I adore that!

bluemuf said...

Louise, What a sweet little box you have made. I look forward to seeing all the little treasure, and how many you can get in the tiny box. Also, I enjoyed the flickr sites.

Hugs karen

Kathy said...

What fun- hadn't thought of that. Can't wait to see what you come up with! Kathy

LiLi M. said...

This is so inspiring! I love this! I think people like us who like fairies and all kind of wonderful things, are fond of these small treasures too. I was thinking of sending my neighbour a surprise package, while she is going to rough times, Constance inspired me, but I think the answer lies in both of your post. I'll keep you posted, I'm thrilled!

Ps at first I thought your were going to post about these german matchboxes that are filled with very small wooden things that make a little room, a little kitchen, a small school. I cannot remember the german name for them. Do you know what I mean? they are pricey especially when they are old, but they are adorable! I'll check whether I can find a link, then you'll hear from me again.

Oh this post made my day! Thanks!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I LOVE your matchbox, all stuffed with treasures. Very cool, Louise!

rochambeau said...

SO Happy to see your inspiration matchbox. You inspire me Pink Gate!

xox
Constance

Lynn said...

Louise, I cannot wait until I have time to really pore over this post and your links. I LOVE matchboxes -- the small ones. They make great dollhouse furniture.

Lynn

adrienne said...

I was intrigued by this too. Tiny things fascinate me.
I love the ideas you've come up with. Can't wait to see the finished product - 30 items is a lot!

Betzie said...

Oh Louise, I love your matchbox treasure box!!!
I made these for my earrings a while ago...there was an article in one of the older Somersets about match boxes that was my inspiration.
Love this idea too!
You can buy these at WalMart by the way...they come in a bundle...that's where I got mine, cheap! xo